Thursday, October 16, 2008

The disappearing act!

In my usual style, I have gone completely underground for the past two weeks. I usually do this when I am taking a vacation. But, this time the reasons where a little different (although; vacation was also involved). 

Oct 5 - Oct 10
 The whole week was a mess, hectic and mind numbing. From Monday to Friday, I was busy supporting my current project 24/7 while, transitioning the work to a new vendor (I was supposed to join a new project from Oct-13; because of a screw up). On Friday, I came to know that my current PM screwed up big time and landed me in a gigantic fix. I have been working 24/7 for about a month and he promised me a vacation for 15 days. But, he told my HR that I was available to get scheduled to a new project from 12-Oct. I gave him a big piece of my mind and began negotiations with the NEW PM to get Monday and Tuesday off. I got Monday *whatever, the fuck!*. 

So, the weekend 11,12 and 13 where going to be my vacation days after toiling for 30days working almost 24/7. 

Oct 10 - Oct 13
Vacation time!!! No connectivity :) 

I was travelling to Hyderabad and I have found the reason why I am so scared of travelling. 

There was a female in the bus, who got a cute labrador puppy and since; the buses here don't allow pets she got into an argument with the driver. After, 15minutes the driver gave up and asked her to sit in the last seat of the volvo bus and not let the puppy bark or make weird noices. Well, I am not sure if she had any control on what the pup would do.

The bus, stopped one and a half hour into the journey near a roadside dhaba to facilitate the drivers late dinner and some of the passengers also wanted to get out and stretch their limbs. There was a small girl, who was sitting outside the dhaba along with an old man who was asking for alms. I was silently watching her from the corner of my eye as I lit a cigarette. After getting some beedi in the cigarette shop next to the dhaba, she started asking for alms. 

The lady with the pup, just shooed her away;and went inside to get some warm milk for the pup. Not many bothered to tell her that they did not have any change because they were gobbling down dosas. I was rather upset so, called the small girl and gave a 5 coin. I was half-hoping she would hide it somewhere and get herself some candy or atleast keep it with her. But, she just went straight to the old man and gave him the coin along with the beedis. I hit myself real hard on the head. 

I was, sitting in the bus thinking about this for a couple of hours and then it hit me; the reason, why I hate travelling so much: "Our lives are like sandboxes, secured from outside influences. We are lucky in many ways and when we see or experience something like the above it disturbs our reality making us feel very uncomfortable. And, India has so many such experiences to offer." I am not being anything here, it was the only explanation that let me sleep that night.

The experience from the previous night was tucked away in a corner of my brain, as my attention was drawn to delicious hyderabadi biryani next afternoon, night and on sunday as well.

Reached Bangalore, afternoon of 13th and was running here and there to get some paperwork out of my way.

Oct 14 - Oct 17
Back to homebase, starting off a new project. Need to get knowledge and settle into the groove. Had, to read a bunch of documentation about the new project. Understanding the team hierarchy. Probing people, to get a feel of ground zero and the work environment. Another chess game! begins :)

5 comments:

Indian Home Maker said...

It is very difficult to decide what to do when small kids come asking for money. I generally buy bananas, buns, samosa - something filling and make them eat it in front of me. I think they are also happy to do that, because somebody is always waiting to snatch what we give them.

But why judge the woman with the Labrador Pup?

Pinku said...

good luck with the game. The funny part is we are both the players and the played with at the same time.

about your reason for not travelling I understand your point completetly Being cocooned in our own lives, miseries and short lived joys is easier than to witness something like that.

A piece of advise next time u see a child like that buy her a meal and insist she eats it sitting infront of you.

~Hemanth~ said...

@IHM: Maybe because, I was always told to respond in kind or cash or in whatever way possible; when you are in a better position than the person asking for your help is in.

She could fight for her pup and buy it warm milk but; did not have the heart to at least answer the child in front of her asking for money, which might have been used to fill her tummy.

@pinku: IHM has the same opinion. I guess, coming from two experienced woman; I ought to take it. So, will do next time I see someone like her.

Keshi said...

I was wondering where u were. Also, I wanted to say that I hvnt forgotten u tagged me :) Just gimme some time ok. I will do it.

I rem in Sri Lanka, lil street kids coming n asking for money...it breaks my heart but at the same time I wonder wut they'd use that money for..


Keshi.

Mampi said...

That incident with the little girl took my heart away. The lady with the pup sure has a right to take care of her pup, but I feel that taking care (even if momentary) of stray human beings than a pet is more humanistic.

IndiBlogger - Where Indian Blogs Meet